Clothes To Kids of Denver will give away 6,000+ wardrobes between now and December. Read below to learn how you can join our fun, dynamic team!
JOB POSTING: Contract Accountant/Bookkeeper
Overview: The contract accountant/bookkeeper has responsibility for accounting and finance functions of CTKD. This position posts financial transactions and creates financial reports from that information. The creation of financial transactions includes inputting information to accounting journals and accounting software from such source documents as donor receipts including cash, check and credit card receipts, vendor set-up information, supplier invoices and expenses and payroll entries. The Contract Accountant also reconciles accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Knowledge of Cash and Accrual based accounting principles.
- Knowledge of GAAP concepts, particularly in regard to nonprofit entities.
- Record Inventory and Fixed Assets in an accurate and timely manner.
- Set up and record new vendors, supplier expenses and monthly expense payments.
- Ensure that all donor receipts are recorded promptly. Requires working knowledge of cash, check and credit card processing, credit card fees, charge-backs, etc.
- Process payroll entries in an accurate and timely manner; interfaces and provides input data to the organization’s payroll processor.
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of bank account(s) and create/issue monthly financial statements.
- Prepare and reconcile monthly revenue log.
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all General Ledger accounts to ensure their accuracy; generates general ledger statements for review by the organization.
- Review all financial/bank statements with the Treasurer and prepare any reconciling entries.
- Assemble and prepare information/schedules to the organization’s external accountant to create the company’s annual financial statements for audit and the organization’s 990 reports for the IRS.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system and chart of accounts.
- Maintain the annual budget and calculate variances from the budget; report significant issues to management.
- Support the development of accounting processes, procedures and policies.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Develop annual budget in conjunction with staff and board finance committee.
- Provide support for year-end inventory count and valuation.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management, as requested.
- Degree in accounting or business administration preferable, or equivalent business experience or experience with nonprofit organizations.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines for monthly close.
- Thorough understanding of Excel, bank and payroll systems such as ADP and Quick Books.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of Quick Books, experience with nonprofit organizations and comprehensive knowledge of accrual-based accounting.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the knowledge and skills to set up remote access to Quick Books for multiple computers and connect Quick Books to our donor database.
Time Requirement: Typically requires 8-10 hours monthly with additional hours up to 24-36 per month during months of major fundraising event, annual budget work and preparation of year financial schedules.
Click HERE to download a PDF of this job description.